Friday, January 7, 2011

Will Work For Food

Big deep sigh.

Perhaps if I take an early shower instead of a late one, I will have the motivation to get myself going today.

The kitchen is a mess, I need to wash dishes and then I need to do some baking and cooking.

Alex woke up with a bit of a tummy ache. He thinks it's from the milk we finished off yesterday that had a sell by date of Dec. 26th. He's probably right. But it could have been from the 4 dozen chocolate chip cookies that I made last Sunday that he has systematically proceeded to wolf down. I think there are 6 left, and they're the ones that got slightly darker on the bottom.

What'll it be today? Blueberry muffins? Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting? Oatmeal raisin cookies?
Apple pie?

After that, pasta sauce and potato salad.

Then patch the nail holes in the bathroom walls, sand them down, paint and then repaint. Hang the new toilet paper holder and the curved shower curtain rod....

Then finish all the baby shoes that are in the works right now. Waiting for my special ordered yarn to arrive to make a special hat for a breast cancer patient. I hope it comes soon.

Going to be a busy one today! Here's a recipe to get YOUR day going!

I made this farmhouse chowder last Wednesday. We seem to have an abundance of potatoes and ham. (Thanks Mother.) Alex picked through it like a fussy 2 year old, but I really liked it, and ate the leftovers by myself for 3 days following.

Ingredients:

1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1/2 c. finely chopped celery
1/2 c. chopped sweet red pepper
2 tbl. butter
1/4 c. all-putpose flour
1 package ranch dressing mix
4 1/2 c. milk
2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
2 cups cubed fully-cooked ham
1 can corn
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2 oz. smoked Gouda cheese, shredded


1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and red pepper in butter until vegetable are crisp-tender. Stir in the flour and ranch dressing mix until smooth; gradually stir in the milk. Bring to a boil, cook and stire for 2 minutes or until thickened.

2. Add the potatoes, corn, ham and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated thoroughly. Sprinkle with cheese before serving.

No comments: