Thursday, October 14, 2010

Empty Canvasses

I'm rather artsy. If you know me well, you know this is true.

I have an odd thing that I find amazing joy in - I am overjoyed by potential.

On Tuesday I opened up a blank notebook that I have had for a looooong time and simply never started writing anything in. I felt a little tingle of excitement as I ran my hand over the blank page, imaging the great and rediculous things that I will eventually fill all those pages up with. Those pages, empty now, have a potential for wisdom, humor and, probably a couple of my famous lists.

I love to walk through the aisles that hold blank canvasses at the art stores. All those different shapes and sizes! What amazing works of beauty and controversy will be put on those surfaces? Will they inspire and delight, or offend and hurt? What colors will they hold? What will the subject matter be?

My favorite part of starting a new cross stitch piece is to spread the blank piece of Aida fabric out on the floor and measure out the size, and then put those first few stitches in. (I replicate pieces of fine art in cross stitch form and my favorite artist is John William Waterhouse, although currently I am replicating Van Gogh's Starry Night) The first of 50,000 little x-shaped stitches to come, knowing that someday in the future they will all join together to create a beautiful piece of artwork.

I love the yarn shop in River Park. All those shelves and baskets full of colors and textures! Someday they will be baby blankets and booties, warm hats and mittens, and snuggly sweaters. Those colors of yarn will give someone a feeling of coziness and peace. (Winters are COLD around here.)

"If I were to wish for anything, I would not wish for wealth and power, but for the passionate sense of the potential, for the eye, which ever young and ardent, sees the possible." - Soren Kierkgaard

No comments: