Monday, February 7, 2011

The Pianist

Alex and I spent the morning creating promotional advertising for me as a special event pianist. This reason I don't do this very often is because I have had precious few good experiences playing for special events.

The last wedding I played for knew how much I charged for my services, and gave me half of that total. They said they left my payment in the church office in an envelope with my name on it. Imagine my surprise when I opened it expecting $100 and found a single $50.

The wedding before that put my keyboard off in a corner behind some fancy draped tulle and I couldn't see what was going on. No wonder the bride's entry march started early.

The wedding prior to that one required my chasing down the groom in the reception hall in order to demand my payment. The wedding planner chewed me out for daring to start the prelude music 3 minutes late. I had to stand in the middle of the stage, right next to the bridal party, like an idiot for 90 minutes because 'that's where we always plug the keyboard in'.

I do enjoy playing for cocktail parties and receptions though. My favorite to date was a large reception at the big Marriott Hotel downtown. I also played cocktail parties for Remax Realty at the Tippecanoe Restaurant in the ballroom, 4 years in a row.

I am not an entertainer - I am strictly a pianist who provides background music, or event music.

The gloves are off! I'm loading my weekends up with weddings and I'm starting today!

No comments: